Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Grape Icee Drip Tip Nail Art

What I used for this look:
OPI Natural Nail Base Coat
Sinful Colors Purple Diamond (a very sheer lavender glitter)
Revlon Scented Grape Icy (thin consistency nearly neon purple)
Sally Hansen Complete Manicure Yellow Kitty (thick consistency soft yellow)
Glow in the Dark Nail Polish (it has glitter and I'd prefer it to not, but it's the only GID I have)
Revlon Extra Life No Chip Top Coat
Size 3 small round synthetic paintbrush


Start with your base coat.

Apply 2 coats of Purple Diamond ( allow 1st coat to dry before applying 2nd)

Let dry.

Then take Grape Icy and let the excess drip off the brush so there is just enough to cover your nail making this first layer pretty sheer. When the first layer is dry add your second layer being a bit more generous with the amount of polish on your brush..just barely dangling off the brush, not dripping.

You can stop here and apply top coat once dry to get deelish ice slushee nails. The glitter underneath the Grape Icy shows thru and it's just like looking down into a cup of your favee ice slushee treat. The scented nail polish makes it smell like the real thing, too.

I want my nails to be ever so slightly Halloween inspiring, so I put pastel yellow slime drips on my nail tips.

Purple with black, orange, red, or green seemed like it'd be too spooky. And I've already done pink, hot pink, and seafoam green. So this time I offfset a bright purple with a complimentary pastel yellow.

Here's how ^-*

We're still putting nail polish on, so I used a thickish layer of BASE coat on my slushee nails and let it dry.

Now you need Yellow Kitty(or your color of choice) and your small round paintbrush.

Either dip your paintbrush into the bottle or allow excess polish from the built-in brush to drip onto it. Keep in mind the first dot on your nail will be about the same size as the dollop on your brush.

Decide where you want the drip to be and apply the polish to your nail with a light dotting motion. For a look like mine(on shorter nails)  visualize a horizontal line across the middle of your nail and place the longest drip just above that. Now when you put more drips on one fingernail you'll get a great look just by making each of them shorter than the first one.




One or two bobs of the brush should be sufficient to get a sizable glob from the brush onto your fingernail. If you've got a nice rounded glob in one bob, then do the next step. If you need more nail polish then quickly get a round glob on your brush and apply it to your too small dot using light pressure. You don't want to push on the nail's surface. Putting wet nail polish on dry nail polish will soften that already dry layer and we don't want to smear the purple when we drag the brush upward.

Quickly drag the paintbrush's tip from the middle of your glob to the end of your fingernail, then pull the yellow polish to the left and right covering the tip. Now that the polish has been further spread out on your nail it should look less globby, more flat.


If not then you probably have enough nail polish to add an adjoining drip (or two) to your first one. Or if excess is mostly on the tip of your nail you can create more lines by pulling down lines from your tips. If you do this, then it's best to leave them as lines ( don't try to make a bottom drip with the excess unless there's a rounded glob still on your paint brush tip) and get a smaller amount of polish from the bottle/brush and make a dot at the end of the line you made and pull up to join the new dot to the line.

Dotting on the ends of your slime drips is the best way to make sure they stay nice and round. You may need to wipe the paintbrush off as polish builds up. The larger the brush the larger the dot on your nail and the drying nail polish build up basically makes the brush larger as you go.

For my right pinkie nails falling drip I took the smallest dobby I could get from the bottle and in one dab right on the midway line instead of above it I put the glob on my nail and pulled it upward, just not all the way to the tip.

*!*Apply top coat and enjoi*!*

You can stop here and have B0MB drippy nails.

...OR...

You can put your glow in the dark nail polish to good use & make glowing, black lite reactive drips. Yawp~I'm goin all out to the strat-o-sphere with this *!*






Since the drips have a bit of relief from the surface of your nail it's pretty easy to put the GID polish on just them. My GID polish is really thin and lightly glittery with a very fine glitter and it's pink in the bottle, but it'd take 4-6 coats to get it lookin pink like that, so with one thin coat it's basically just adding the glow and a tiny bit of glitter. I wiped most of the polish off the brush before applying it to my drips and actually tried to get as little glitter as possible with each dip.

This particular Glow in the Dark polish glows in the dark for like 2 seconds at most, so don't get GID polish that looks like this bottle if you want your nails to glow in the dark and not just under black light. =p Tis cheap, no brand, and I'm looking forward to Halloween for lyke a hundred reasons, but *one* of those reason is to get oodles of new polishes. ^-*


~*Here's what they look like with the lights out*~


~*Here they are under black lite*!*~



~*Nobody outglows Rarity, teehee, but I absoluv my nails*!*~

~*T!P*~ run your paintbrush under hot hot water to soften the polish, then clean with a non-acetone nail polish remover~*T!P*~


Let me know how you like this tutorial and show me your drippy nails*!*

P.S. : If you're wondering how me, myself, and I managed to pull this off considering my disability stay tuned to my livejournal

No comments:

Post a Comment